Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Introductions

Hello! I'm a Resource teacher in Tennessee. My goal for this blog is to inform and support homeschool moms using the strategies and knowledge I've gained as a Resource Teacher.

First, may I explain what a "Resource" teacher is. When I was starting in special education, the teacher showing me around the school pointed to an office and said, "That is where is the Resource teacher works." My first thought was that the Resource teacher was someone who provided resources to the other teachers. I started out working with kids on the Autism Spectrum in a self-contained classroom, so it wasn't until I moved to another school that I came to understand the role of the Resource teacher.

The Resource teacher is a special education teacher who meets the needs of students who have learning disabilities, ADHD, and at some times behavior disorders. For the most part, we work with kids who have reading disabilities.

My students come to my classroom for intensive intervention for about an hour a day. They are in small groups of 3 or less and are otherwise in their regular classrooms. I also go out into regular classrooms and assist my students, as well as others by helping teachers differentiate instruction.

Most of my work is in reading. There are five reading groups that take place in my classroom. My two instructional aides help with the reading groups as well to keep the group size low.

What I will share in this blog are some tips and tricks I've learned along the way including real-life situations/ problems and how they were solved/ approached.

Please contact me with your questions! And thank you for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment